Posted by The Author on March 17, 2009
Hi and Lois, 3/18/09
1) Using the power of physics and tiny bones.
2) Because of the atmosphere, I think, and because any other color would look stupid and unnatural.
3) The streets, to peddle their sweet, sweet drugs.
4) Because of their wicky-dickies.
And then in the final panel we are treated to a Totally What-The-Fark Transcendental Moment, in which no jokes are told; instead we are invited to imagine our brains as a tangled snarl of spaghetti being shaken out, bit by bit, until our minds leave the physical body completely and become one with the rest of the universe. This is the Zenith of Terrifying Comix, folks, and the fact that it is being delivered by an infant makes me want to pack up and move to the mountains for the rest of my life.
Posted in drugs, from the mouths of babes, google-eyes, horror, wtf | 3 Comments »
Posted by The Author on March 8, 2009
Hi and Lois, 3/8/09
1) This is pretty rare. The two throw-away panels at the top, which don’t appear in some Sunday papers, contain a joke (well, “joke”), but the actual comic doesn’t. So that means when I read this in the paper tomorrow, it will be merely a bleak reflection of the stereotypical Stay-At-Home Mom’s predicament: I have too many kids; I hate them all; and I can do nothing but wear an apron for no reason (which will later disappear), stand in my filthy kitchen, and stare with my heroin-addled pupils.
2) Actually, half the characters in this strip have weird googly-eyes. What’s up with that? I really do suspect that Lois in on some sort of drug, considering her skirt morphs into a pair of pants in three panels.
3) Hi is a real jerk, staying for the joke but then leaving for the rest of the comic. Take responsibility for the fruits of your marriage! Asshole.
4) I can understand The Cabin Fever. I have it myself right now, this being the longest winter I have ever experienced, with more snow expected overnight. Other than that, this comic has no point. “We thought you ran away from home”? Kids, couldn’t you see your mom from the window? Standing in a snow drift? Her crazy, fearful eyes? That is the look of a mother who will be soon drowning her kids in the bath and saying God told her to do it.
5) Trixie’s “WA!” has always bothered me. How does one pronounce that, exactly? Wah? Way? Double-you ay?
Posted in crossed arms, drugs, google-eyes, horror, mutations | 2 Comments »
Posted by The Author on March 6, 2009
Hi and Lois, 3/7/09
Why is Hi so gleeful in panel one and horrified in panel two? I mean, he can obviously see right from the start that his alcoholic neighbor is standing in a stolen sandbox full of marijuana, whacking hard-boiled eggs with a golf club. That is the kind of “grass” we’re talking about, right? Because nothing else can explain this kind of behavior.
Posted in "quotes", drugs, golf | Leave a Comment »